Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Update on Harper


Kalvin and I dropped Harper off at the pet hospital this morning about 9:00. Kalvin was very tearful and upset when they took Harper into the back. Those of you who know Kal, know that he isn't talking much at all. He got his point across though, he just kept repeating "Per (Harper) Momma Per" and he said with a great amount of authority "NO!" when the tech was petting Harper and getting ready to take him into the back. He didn't want anyone else touching his dog and he was very upset to leave the office without Harper. (so much so that he threw himself onto the sidewalk in typical toddler fashion)


I got a call at 10:00 reporting that Harper's lymph nodes appear to be unaffected by the cancer so we proceeded with surgery to remove the tumor. Surgery took a long time (almost 3 hours) but seemingly went well. They think that they were able to achieve clear margins but won't know for sure until they examine the tumor and the surrounding tissue that was removed. I picked Harper up at 5:00 and he was in pretty tough shape. He is having difficulty walking and has been very anxious. (Just the opposite of what I expected.) I anticipated him being very groggy throughout the evening and "sleeping off" the anesthesia. Hopefully he will settle down and rest throughout the night. His incision is stapled shut and is bleeding a bit with all of his recent activity. We go in 10-14 days to remove the staples.


Thanks to all who have kept us in your thoughts and or prayers. It is very much appreciated.


-Melissa









1 comment: